Centre for Biodiversity Theory and Modelling|
Station d’Ecologie Théorique et Expérimentale du CNRS
09200 Moulis, France
Phone: +33 (0) 5 61 04 03 60
As part of the BIOSTASES team, my current goal is to contribute to the ongoing discussion on how to define stability in ecosystems from a theoretical standpoint, especially taking into account spatial and trophic dynamics. A distinctive aspect of this research is the choice to look at stability from the perspective of the ecosystem's functioning, rather than its detailed biological inventory. This means that stability is not taken to be a property of the community itself, but of specific processes within and beyond the ecoystem, including its interface with human society.
This project furthers my personal interest in function in complex systems in general, which I have been exploring across disciplines, from human and artificial systems to biology. The long-term objective is to develop a conceptual and algorithmic toolset for defining and evidencing functional roles and relationships in systems that are subjected to external selection, as a complementary approach to the better-understood optimization paradigm.http://mrcbarbier.org/
- 2016 - 2019 – Postdoctoral fellow, CNRS Moulis, France.
- 2014 - 2016 – Postdoctoral fellow in Simon Levin's lab in Princeton University, USA.
- 2013 - 2014 – Postdoctoral fellow with Deok-Sun Lee in Inha University, Incheon, South Korea.
- 2009 - 2012 – PhD in statistical physics on the kinetic theory of dissipative gases with Emmanuel Trizac in LPTMS, Université Paris-Sud, France
- Liautaud K., van Nes E., Barbier M., Scheffer M. & Loreau M. (2019) — Superorganisms or loose collections of species? A unifying theory of community patterns along environmental gradients. Ecology Letters 22: 1243-1252. Download
Barbier M. and Loreau M. (2019) — Pyramids and cascades: a synthesis of food chain functioning and stability. Ecology Letters 22: 405–419. Download
- Barbier M.,Villamaina D., Trizac E. (2015) —Blast dynamics in a dissipative gas. Physical review letters 115 (21), 214301. Download
- Barbier M. (2015) — Kinetics of blast waves in one-dimensional conservative and dissipative gases. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment (11), P11019. Download
- Barbier M., Trizac E. (2014) — Polydispersity and optimal relaxation in the hard sphere fluid. Journal of Statistical Physics. 154 (5), 1365-1390. Download
- Barbier M., Trizac E. (2012) — Field induced stationary state for an accelerated tracer in a bath. Journal of Statistical Physics. 149 (2), 317-341. Download