Centre for Biodiversity Theory and Modelling|
Station d’Ecologie Théorique et Expérimentale du CNRS
09200 Moulis, France
Phone: +33 (0) 5 61 04 03 60
My research broadly focuses on the ecology and economics of the spread of organisms. I aim to understand how species spread, what the consequences of the introduction of species are for biodiversity, productivity, and resilience, and how to estimate and manage risk in ecological and social-ecological systems.
As part of the BIOSTASES team, I aim to contribute to the theory explaining the relationship between biodiversity and stability in population and community ecology models. Much of the current literature assumes a homogeneous environment where spatial locations are evenly connected. I am interested in relaxing these assumptions and testing how different types of dispersal and connectivity between locations affect the conclusions from the current theory.
- 2016 - 2018 Postdoctoral fellow, CNRS Moulis, France.
- 2012 - 2016 Ph.D. in Biology, Arizona State University, USA.
- 2010 - 2012 Masters of Science in Biology, Arizona State, USA.
- 2005 - 2009 Bachelors of Arts in Biology, Austin College, USA
- Shanafelt D.W. , Perrings C. (In review) Foot and mouth disease: The role of international trade and the risk of disease outbreak. Revue scientifique et technique (International Office of Epizootics).
- Shanafelt D.W. , Dieckmann U., Jonas M., Franklin O., Perrings C., Loreau M. (2015) Biodiversity, productivity, and the spatial insurance hypothesis revisited. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 380:426-435.
- Fenichel E.P., Richards T.J, Shanafelt D.W. (2013) The control of invasive species on private property with neighbor-to-neighbor spillovers. Environmental and Resource Economics. 59(2):231-255.
- Richards T.J., Shanafelt D.W., Fenichel E.P. (2013) Foreclosures and invasive insect spread: The case of the Asian citrus psyllid. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 96(3):615-630.
Awards and distinctions
- 2013: IIASA Young Scientist Summer Program (YSSP) scholar.
- 2013: BestNet research training fellow.